Maximum population in the world covers their grey hair with hair dye or colour without any fear or side effects because hair colour brings the lost age back. Moreover, according to young generation colouring hair is the fun and also they enumerate some new funky shades with all possible experiments. Today’s human beings are living in the era of toxins that are hazardous to mankind as well as the environment.
Side effects of the hair dyes that need to be aware of:
- Asthma: Thousands of people in the world have allergies from several minute things like pollen, dust; saw dust, mold, cosmetics and chemicals. According to some studies people using such chemical products such as hair dyes are more susceptible to respiratory disease with a high risk of asthma.
- Brittle hair: Ingredients present in hair dyes loose moisture from the cuticle scales and thereby making them dry, shine less as well brittle.
- Burning skin: Chemicals present in hair colours may cause skin reactions, including burning sensations, redness, flaky skin, unbearable itching and discomfort. That is why it is recommended to perform a patch test and observe it for 2 days just before colouring. Visit a dermatologist if the allergic symptoms persist.
- Cancer: According to experimental studies it has been proven that chemicals present in the hair colours can change the sequencing of DNA in human and cause various types of cancer.
Dangerous culprits used in hair colour:
- PPD: PPD stands for para-phenylenediamine which is used in darker shades and is prepared from coal tar, petroleum based chemical like benzene, naphthalene, phenols, aniline, and other chemicals. It is also used to preserve wood, but its contact with skin is avoided to prevent skin allergies. According to some research studies PPD when used with Hydrogen peroxide is hazardous and ultimately lead to cancer.
- Hydrogen peroxide: It is responsible for stripping away the natural colour of hair and changes the structure of hair and makes them brittle.
- Ammonia: Ammonia produces a burning sensation as it opens up the hair’s cuticle.
- DMDM Hydantoin: It is a known preservative that is responsible for releasing formaldehyde chemical and causes irritation and affect the immunity. It is also used in manufacturing of herbicides, floor waxes, polymers, colour photography, latex paints, cutting oils adhesives, coping paper and inks.
- Parabens: Methylparabens and Propylparabens are the two most common parabens preservatives that are extensively used in hair care products, cosmetics and are responsible for causing allergies and skin irritation.
- Lead Acetate: Lead Acetate causes anemia and produce neurological disorders.
- Resorcinol: Resorcinol is a toxic chemical responsible for causing scalp irritation and also disrupts the endocrine system