Monosodium Glutamate is generally known as Ajinomoto. It is a white crystalline sodium salt and is the main ingredient for enhancing flavour in the Chinese cuisine and finally, it has been moved from Chinese food to the Indian kitchen. No doubt its addition increases the taste in many foods, but, its regular consumption can be very harmful for human health, especially for growing children and pregnant women as they are more prone to this chemical ingredient. MSG-rich food items increase the glutamate levels in the blood by 8-10 times on consumption. It is an excitatory neurotransmitter that over stimulates the nerve cells. Further, high and regular intake of this chemical disturbs the balance of the neurotransmitter which is responsible for adverse effects on the body. People use this in making several recipes for enhancing taste and getting higher profits because it is a cheaper ingredient and also it is easily available in the market. MSG stimulates the pancreas gland that produces insulin even when the sugar level is in range. This extra insulin content causes a decrease in the blood sugar level due to which one can feel hungry and leads to overeating and obesity. That is why MSG is a known silent killer because it shows its effects with the expense of time. It is used in processing of several food items like ready to eat food packets, dehydrated soup packets, dehydrated gravy packets, instant noodles and cup noodles, preserved fish, all types of sausages, tomato ketchup, mayonnaise, potato wafers, soya sauce, all canned and preserved food items along with all fast food items, mainly Chinese. So, ultimately such types of food stuffs should be completely avoided and it is suggested to prepare these dishes at home without using dangerous MSG and say no to Ajinomoto.
Harmful side effects caused by consuming Ajinomoto rich food stuffs-
- Headache is a common side effect due to MSG which can be turned into a migraine and that can be severe.
- It causes shortage of water in the body due to which oedema (swelling in the body) and skin irritation may occur.
- It also affects the functioning of the heart and respiratory tract. It increases the problems like acidity and burning sensation of stomach.
- It is also triggered the onset of stomach ache, vomiting and diarrhoea.
- It weakens the muscles of knee and leg by reducing the calcium levels in the body.
- Burning sensation is quite normal by its regular consumption.
- MSG is a neurotransmitter which stimulates the nerves and leads to an unhealthy body.
- Due to regular consumption of MSG in the diet, it causes irregular heartbeat, cardiac arrest, chest pain and much more.
- MSG should be strictly avoided in the pregnancy because it causes miscarriage and finally infertility.
- It is also responsible for several health problems such as blood pressure, thyroid, diabetes, asthma, allergies, and obesity.
- This ingredient can also be the reason for causing excessive sweating, nausea, dizziness, weakness, damage to the retina of eye and ultimately leads to cancer.
Spectro Analytical Lab offers all the facilities and instruments for analyzing various kinds of chemicals used during processing of foodstuffs. It also provides training and assistance in this regard.