The world’s population is increasing day by day and that is why each and every human being has added a significant amount of waste to the surroundings. As the natural resources of our planet earth are less so, we must take care about the conservation of these resources so, that we leave this for the next generations. To conserve the resources recycling is the best option and is also good for the environment because in the process of recycling, new products are manufactured by using the old and the products which are of no use and then converting them back to the new products. Paper, plastic, glass, aluminum cans are some examples that are recycled in greater amount.
Recycling is Important in a Number of ways:
- To make the atmospheric environment clean
- Conservation of Materials
- To save renewable sources of energy
- Reduce garbage in landfill sites
- Helps in reducing water and air pollution
- Reduce the effects of global warming in the atmosphere
Recycling actually starts from our home because if we are using an older product instead of discarding then we are actually doing recycling. It is basically an idea of reduce, reuse and recycle. Conservation of things is an important aspect of recycling, in this process, less production of garbage will help in reducing the landfill sites that helps in cleaning the environment.
Testing – As a growing concern for the environment has become an important issue nationally and globally, more efforts have been in place to sustain our resources. Sustainable materials are of increasing industrial importance. One such material is biodegradable polymers.
Since the interest for using biodegradable plastics has grown exponentially, there have been a number of standards developed for testing the material. ASTM and IS develops various standards that have been used worldwide and provide a foundation for comparisons of data in testing of plastics in various laboratories. Test methods are ASTM D6400 and ASTM D5988-03 for determining compostable plastics and aerobic biodegradation in soil of plastic respectively. This test method was used because it provides clear guidelines to biodegradability and is designed to evaluate aerobic biological reaction. The ASTM D 5998 method used is equivalent to the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) 17556:2003. First process is biodegradability in soil/compost by monitoring CO2 and second by monitoring loss of mass and reduction in physical properties via tensile testing after exposure in UV Light.
We could save our planet by doing a handful of things-
- Discard all the waste from the house which is of no use, packaged in an appropriate container such as paper, plastic and glass and send it to the nearest recycling center.
- Avoid using plastic bags, plastic papers and plastic container as much as possible. As these things are non biodegradable in nature will only create pollution in the atmosphere by filling the landfill sites.
- Use own reusable bags to buy groceries and purchase only those items having least packaging as a huge amount of money is spent on these packaging materials that ultimately go to the landfill sites.
- Limit the use of disposable things like disposable utensils made up of plastic and Styrofoam.
Spectro Analytical Lab offers all the facilities and instruments for analyzing the safety parameters of air and water quality. It also provides training and assistance in this regard.