Nickel is a heavy metal generally used for making magnets, buttons, zippers, watches, keys, jewelry, coins, stainless steel, electronics, and tools for various machines. An attractive appearance and beautiful mirror finish can be obtained by nickel plating. Nickel metal is greatly used in refining, electroplating and welding industries. Further, things having a shining appearance may contain nickel that is why most of the jewelry articles such as earrings, necklaces, bracelets, rings, chains, bangles, etc. consist of nickel, but people should avoid such jewelry and only choose nickel free jewelry. This is due to the release of nickel ions from the metals and easily reacts with the skin to cause skin allergy and eczema. Media should step forward in order to create public awareness and drawing attention of government towards reducing the metal toxicity and various health issues.
But, nickel is a toxic and carcinogenic metal and its exposure has a significant health issues as well as it create environmental pollution. Exposure to this metal leads to risk of several diseases like lung cancer, breast cancer, heart troubles, and neurological disorders, depression, hormonal imbalance, infertility, birth defects, miscarriage, fibrosis, skin irritation, dysfunctions of the liver and kidneys, high blood pressure and high levels of cholesterol. Moreover, workers who are supposed to inhale dust and fumes loaded with nickel are more prone to these above-mentioned disorders.
On the basis of the metal toxicity Government should take strict and necessary action for the safety of the common people and the environment-
- The Government should ban all the import and manufacturing of the jewelry which consist of toxic metals.
- Concerned departments should take immediate and strict action against towards the shopkeepers and jewelers who are involved in selling such toxic accessories.
- General awareness should be encouraged by the media, NGO’s and other government organizations, among the common people, shopkeepers, retailers, wholesalers and importers for not selling and purchasing the jewelries loaded with heavy and toxic metal.
- Government should establish the facilities of testing laboratories.
Spectro Analytical Lab offers all the facilities and instruments for detection of heavy metals in jewelry. It also provides training and assistance in this regard.
Now a day’s disposable paper/foam/plastic cups are quite demanding in office pantries due to the convenience it offers while ignoring its harmful side effects. But paper cups are lined with polyethylene for insulation and durability. Low quality paper cups are covered with a tiny layer of wax to prevent paper getting soaked and when we pour very hot beverage over this cup, the paper cups wax may come off, which will directly be sent along with the hot drink into our stomach. Over the time, stomach and digestive tract accumulate significant amounts of wax and chemicals when using the paper cups every day. This causes gastrointestinal disorders and other severe health problems.
Foam Tea Cup– Styrene is used to manufacture polystyrene foam plastic cups and foam food trays and packages. These include coffee cups, soup bowls, flight lunch packs, etc. If we are taking hot beverages through these polystyrene cups approximately four times a day for three years, we may have absorbed nearly one foam cup. Further, it increases the threat of toxicity when we microwaving the food along with these containers. It negatively affects the humans like tiredness, nervousness, insomnia, low platelet, lymphatic abnormalities and carcinogenic effects.
Plastic Cups– Plastic cups produce chemicals when comes in contact with hot beverages, it may cause several types of cancer that interferes with reproductive development in animals and may lead to diabetes and cardiovascular diseases in humans.
Precautions While Using Disposable Cups-
- Say a big “NO” to paper, plastic and Styrofoam cups and start using your own cups made of stainless steel, ceramic mug or glass containers, as these materials are less reactive and does not produce harmful effects.
- If you have tea/coffee in plastic or thermocol cup, then it produces harmful effect on health as chemicals from these materials will invariably dissolve into the beverage. However, paper cup may be the safer option but not a cent percent safe because it is coated with wax to prevent leakage.
- According to the manufacturers, the wax in those cups melts only at very high temperature (beyond at what we drink). So it is better to drink tea/coffee in ceramic mug but if someone has to select out of these three then choose a paper cup due to its biodegradable characteristic, means that they break down over the time without harming the environment.
Spectro Analytical Lab provides all the facilities and instruments for testing all kinds of hazardous chemicals and other contaminants in different types of disposable plastic containers. It also provides training and assistance in this regard.