Microwaves are the high-frequency radio waves mainly used for broadcasting TV, radar for air, sea navigational aids, signals for telecommunications, processing of medicines and cooking food. Like light waves, microwaves are reflected and readily absorbed by the materials that contain moisture, such as foods and liquids, water molecules are bipolar in nature i.e. having positive as well as negative end. In Microwave oven, microwaves are produced in a magnetron, which is a tube that creating an electromagnetic field with 2450 MHz frequency and causes dielectric heating. In the presence of an electric field water molecules rotate rapidly like millions of times per second, creates molecular friction which is responsible for heating up the food. According to manufacturer’s guidelines, microwave ovens are convenient to use and considered safe for heating and cooking foods, but some precautions to be taken while using in order to reduce exposure of high-frequency radio waves. Microwave oven is a cabinet that contained microwave when this cabinet is switched on and the door is closed. As recommended by the international standards this cabinet should be in good condition and leak proof to the microwaves. Microwave users should follow the instructions given, like the door shuts properly, proper functioning of safety device. Its function is to check the leakage of microwaves from being produced when the door is open. If there is any damage to the outer case of the oven, it should not be used further until it has been repaired by a professional service engineer.
Low blood pressure, slow pulse rate, stress, anxiety, high blood pressure, heart disease, headache, dizziness, eye pain, cataract, hair loss, sleeplessness, weakened immune system, and infertility are the main symptoms of Microwave sickness.
- Reheating the food in the microwave can destroy the essential nutrients and converts the plate of food into the “dead food” because of dielectric heating of microwaves. The rotation of water molecules present in food creates molecular friction and start heating the food due to high frequencies in the microwave.
- Microwaving also changes the nutritional composition of the food, even at low-temperature heating. Different foods like raw beef, pork and milk lost 30-40% vitamin B-12 during microwave heating.
- Carcinogenic substances such as BPA, benzene, toluene and xylene are produced, when the heated foods are wrapped in the plastic materials that are being absorbed by the human body while consuming food.
- On consuming microwaved milk and recipes, blood changes its composition like, reduction in red blood cells (RBC), increase in white blood cells and total cholesterol level, which affects the functioning of the heart, experiencing chest pain due to irregular heart beat.
- Microwave cooking reduces the bio-availability of vitamin B complex, vitamin C, vitamin E, and other essential nutrients. It also degraded the quality of meat, vegetables as well as frozen fruits and responsible for the production of carcinogenic chemicals thereby reduces the nutritional content.
- Packaging material of microwavable foods like pizzas, chips and popcorn has also released several carcinogenic toxic chemicals into the food. These toxic chemicals included polyethylene terpthalate (PET), dioxin, BPA etc.