Microwaves are the high-frequency radio waves mainly used for broadcasting TV, radar for air, sea navigational aids, signals for telecommunications, processing of medicines and cooking food. Like light waves, microwaves are reflected and readily absorbed by the materials that contain moisture, such as foods and liquids, water molecules are bipolar in nature i.e. having positive as well as negative end. In Microwave oven, microwaves are produced in a magnetron, which is a tube that creating an electromagnetic field with 2450 MHz frequency and causes dielectric heating. In the presence of an electric field water molecules rotate rapidly like millions of times per second, creates molecular friction which is responsible for heating up the food. According to manufacturer’s guidelines, microwave ovens are convenient to use and considered safe for heating and cooking foods, but some precautions to be taken while using in order to reduce exposure of high-frequency radio waves. Microwave oven is a cabinet that contained microwave when this cabinet is switched on and the door is closed. As recommended by the international standards this cabinet should be in good condition and leak proof to the microwaves. Microwave users should follow the instructions given, like the door shuts properly, proper functioning of safety device. Its function is to check the leakage of microwaves from being produced when the door is open. If there is any damage to the outer case of the oven, it should not be used further until it has been repaired by a professional service engineer.
Low blood pressure, slow pulse rate, stress, anxiety, high blood pressure, heart disease, headache, dizziness, eye pain, cataract, hair loss, sleeplessness, weakened immune system, and infertility are the main symptoms of Microwave sickness.
- Reheating the food in the microwave can destroy the essential nutrients and converts the plate of food into the “dead food” because of dielectric heating of microwaves. The rotation of water molecules present in food creates molecular friction and start heating the food due to high frequencies in the microwave.
- Microwaving also changes the nutritional composition of the food, even at low-temperature heating. Different foods like raw beef, pork and milk lost 30-40% vitamin B-12 during microwave heating.
- Carcinogenic substances such as BPA, benzene, toluene and xylene are produced, when the heated foods are wrapped in the plastic materials that are being absorbed by the human body while consuming food.
- On consuming microwaved milk and recipes, blood changes its composition like, reduction in red blood cells (RBC), increase in white blood cells and total cholesterol level, which affects the functioning of the heart, experiencing chest pain due to irregular heart beat.
- Microwave cooking reduces the bio-availability of vitamin B complex, vitamin C, vitamin E, and other essential nutrients. It also degraded the quality of meat, vegetables as well as frozen fruits and responsible for the production of carcinogenic chemicals thereby reduces the nutritional content.
- Packaging material of microwavable foods like pizzas, chips and popcorn has also released several carcinogenic toxic chemicals into the food. These toxic chemicals included polyethylene terpthalate (PET), dioxin, BPA etc.
Spectro Analytical Labs have fully accredited facilities for detection carcinogenic toxic chemicals in air, water, and food products. It also provides training and assistance in this regard.
Drinking water stored in a copper (Tamra) vessel is called as ‘Tamra Jal’. It is beneficial to drink this water after storing overnight or at least eight hours. On storing water in a copper utensil for drinking purposes, the copper softly leaches into the stored water and contribute all the good qualities of copper and its best quality of the stored Tamra Jal is that it does not become stale on storing for ‘long duration’ of time.
Drinking Tamra Jal is beneficial for human health in several ways:
- Copper helps in the cleansing and detoxification of the stomach, it regulates the functioning of liver, kidneys, proper absorption of nutrients and removal of waste matter from the body. For better results, it’s good to drink this stored water in the early morning on an empty stomach. Copper has the ability to stimulate the peristalsis action of the stomach that aids in proper digestion and assimilation of food. It also kills harmful bacteria in the digestive tract and helps in the healing of ulcers and infections.
- Regular consumption of water stored in a copper vessel helps in weight loss. It aids in the breakdown of extra fat remove it smoothly.
- Copper has good anti-bacterial, antiviral and anti-inflammatory in nature, it readily cures and heals the wounds of the stomach and it also helps in boosting the immune system and growth of the body.
- Copper also has antioxidant activity that helps to fight against free radicals, which are responsible for the aging process. Copper helps in the construction and repair of the skin and thus replace the new with old one. Hence, it is a natural remedy for slowing down the process of aging and helps in looking at least 10 years younger.
- Copper helps in reducing the risks of cardiovascular ailments by regulating the blood pressure, heart beat and blood cholesterol levels. It also prevents from the onset of cancer due to strong anti-oxidant properties. It also stimulates the proper functioning of ‘brain’ by transmitting the nerve impulses through neurons. It helps in the synthesis of phospholipids which are important in the synthesis of myelin sheaths that cover neurons and prepare the brain for better functioning and working.
- Due to anti-inflammatory properties of copper. Therefore, consuming copper infused water is the best option to get rid of the aches and pains of joints in case of arthritis. Further, it is helpful in preventing the communicable diseases like diarrhea, dysentery, etc. as it is the cheapest source for destroying harmful microorganisms present in contaminated water. Store water in ‘copper vessel’ and enjoy it without any fear.
Spectro Analytical Lab offers all the facilities and instruments for testing quality and all the safety parameters related to water. It also provides training and assistance in this regard.
Cloud seeding is the process of creating rain artificially with some of the modifications in weather conditions by using different chemical compounds like silver iodide, potassium iodide and dry ice (solid carbon dioxide) and liquid propane also used which expands into gaseous form. All these chemical substances dispersed into the air through aircrafts or dispersion devices which change the microphysical action of the clouds. These chemical substances could be fired into the clouds from the ground or more efficiently, released over the clouds from aircrafts with the cooperation of various professionals such as meteorologists, pilots, aircraft technicians, radar engineers etc. This technique is helpful in inducing the rainfall artificially by increasing the precipitation in the clouds; otherwise this process occurs naturally in the environment. In this process rainfall occurs when super cooled water droplets become too heavy to remain suspended in the air, fall and melts on their way to cause rain. This mechanism of cloud seeding has become a necessity in our country, where the agricultural practice is greatly dependent upon the rains and monsoons because natural rains and natural water bodies are not able to fulfilled the agricultural requirement and this steeply raising the demand of water, due to which ground water level is dropping swiftly. Snowfall occurs when the temperature ranges from -7 and 20°C within the clouds. Cloud seeding technique is the worthwhile means of getting maximum rain water at the time of need.
This revolutionary technology is very effective, especially for farmers that are mostly affected by drought conditions. With the help of this technique needy farmer can able to grow and sell more crops and get rid of the adverse climatic conditions. It ultimately upgraded the overall economy of the country avoiding famine and boosting tourism in the developing nations, as a lot of countries in the world experiencing severe drought conditions.
Further, it can also be a solution of smog, as the artificial raining washes away the toxic smog particles effectively. We don’t experience any pollution in the monsoon, as the level of air pollution dropped to the safe level in the rainy season.
Spectro Analytical Lab offers all the facilities and instruments for testing water quality and along with the indoor and outdoor air quality. It also provides training and assistance in this regard.
Arsenic (As) is semi-metal of p Block, having Atomic Number 33 of Group 15 of Period 4 with Electronic Configuration [Ar] 3d104s24p3. A little amount of arsenic is found in its native condition either it is mainly found with minerals. The arsenic-containing mineral is arsenopyrite is wide spread in Earth Crust. Arsenic occurs in two solid states (Elemental form) as Grey (or metallic) and Yellow, having specific gravities of 5.73 and 1.97 respectively.
2- In Drinking Water
The main basis of arsenic concentration in ground water is arsenic-rich rocks through which the water has passed; it is highly toxic in its inorganic form. Fate of Arsenic contamination in Ground Water through the dissolution of rocks, minerals and ores, from industrial effluents and through mining wastes. In oxygenated surface waters, arsenic (V) is generally present under reducing conditions commonly, where as in deep lake sediments or in groundwater, the principal form is arsenic (III).
3- Exposure to Human Health
People are exposed to high levels of inorganic arsenic through drinking water which contains high level of Arsenic concentration, using unhygienic water in food preparation and irrigation of food crops, industrial processes, eating contaminated food and smoking tobacco.
4- Health Effect
According to Indian Standard the prescribed limit for Arsenic concentration in drinking water is 0.01mg/l to max. 0.05mg/l. Its effect on human health is both Acute as well as long term. The health effect of arsenic poisoning thickening and discoloration of the skin, stomach ache, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, deadness in hands and feet, partial paralysis, and blindness symptoms is shown by the patient. Whereas in case of long-term exposure to high levels of inorganic arsenic contamination are frequently observed in the skin and comprise alteration in pigment, skin lesions and hard patches on the palms and soles of the feet (hyperkeratosis) . This takes place after a minimum exposure of approximately five years and may be a forerunner to skin cancer. As well as skin cancer, long-term exposure of arsenic contamination may also lead to cancers of the bladder and lungs.
5- Control and Avoidance
I – The steps towards the prevention of exposure to arsenic by the prerequisite of a safe water supply for drinking in affected communities/Habitat.
II – Installation of Arsenic Removal Units – In Centralized System or at Domestic level with ensuring the appropriate disposal of the removed arsenic. Various technologies such as oxidation, coagulation–precipitation, absorption, ion exchange and membrane techniques can be used in removal of Arsenic.