Refined oil is the processed form of natural oil, which can be obtained after treating the natural oils with different chemicals to meet the consumer’s expectations like free from specific colour, odour and flavour, has long shelf life as well as good for frying purposes, but is not good for the digestive as well as respiratory health of the human body. It is also responsible for causing various diseases such as cancer, diabetes, heart and kidney problems, and many more.
Let’s have a look at the harmful effects of refined oils.
- Chemical exposure: Nickel is used for processing of natural oil, but it has carcinogenic and negative effects on the respiratory system, liver, skin of the human body.
- Sodium hydroxide: A harmful chemical added during the refining process and affects the digestive system of the body.
- Preservatives: During the refining process, preservatives are added, but preservatives are also not good for human health.
- Bleaching agents: Bleaching, dewaxing, deodorizing, degumming and deacidification are the harmful steps included in the process of refining process. These steps reduce the chlorophyll content, taste and other nutrients of the oil which ultimately increase the oxidation and rancidity in the edible oil. However, bleaching increases the shelf-life of the edible oil in deep fat frying applications.
- High Temperature: Refining involves the exposure of natural oil to the high temperature that removes all the natural and beneficial substances from the oil.
Chemicals used in the refining of oils cause several ailments like cancer, diabetes, cardiovascular and renal problems, different allergies, premature ageing, ulcers, emphysema, infertility, hypoglycemia and arthritis. Therefore, doctors and nutritionists advised to go for natural, unrefined and cold pressed vegetable oil because refined oil is unfit for consumption. Cold pressed oils are also known as unrefined oils, such oils are mechanically extracted by a machine by applying pressure not the high temperature or in other words such types of oils are extracted in a much healthier way. In this process, the seeds are not subjected to high temperature and harsh chemicals which are carcinogenic in nature that’s why cold pressed oils are full of high flavor and nutritional composition and thus making them a healthier choice for buyers. In cold pressed oil, less than 40-degree temperature should be maintained by which the oils does not lose vitamin and essential fatty acids and maintains its natural characteristics. Once the extracted oil settles, it is filtered and packed into the bottles.
Cold pressed or unrefined oils are much healthier option than the refined oils because unrefined oils like mustard oil, coconut oil, avocado oil and olive oil, etc. are generally used in weight loss, it also aids in several above mentioned health issues.